Policies & Etiquette
Cut Off Policy
The Gold Coast Airport Marathon has cut off times for each race to ensure roads re-open to the public in accordance with event permits and slower participants do not impede other races. Event organisers are committed to all participants having a great experience, and to do this, require all entrants to read the Cut Off Policy.
It covers six very important areas:
- Start line time allowances
- Official race cut off times
- Kilometre pace required to finish within the race cut off time
- Progressive race cut off times along the course
- Locations where officials will monitor and enforce the race cut off times
Read the 2017 Cut Off Policy
- Only runners, walkers, wheelchairs and prams are permitted in the events where specified below. No other form of assisted or recreational transport device is permitted without the written approval of event organisers.
- Animals are not permitted to accompany runners or walkers in any race.
- Racing wheelchair competitors are welcome to compete in the Wheelchair Marathon and the Wheelchair 15km, but for safety reasons are unable to compete in the ASICS Half Marathon, Southern Cross University 10km Run or Zespri Junior Dash events. Wheelchair participants are allowed in the The Star Gold Coast 5.7km Challenge in day chairs only. Hand-cranked cycles are not permitted in any event.
- Prams are only permitted in the The Star Gold Coast 5.7km Challenge and must start at the back of the field. An entry form must be completed for both the child and the parent/guardian, and submitted at the Check In Centre, however there is no charge for the child. If parents/guardians would like the child to receive the participant rewards or would like the child to walk with them, they must pay the entry fee for the child.
- A parent/guardian is permitted to accompany a child for free in the Zespri 2km Junior Dash only. The parent/guardian must also complete an entry form to submit at the Check In Centre and will then receive an identification pass to allow them to start. Parents are not permitted to accompany runners in the Zespri 4km Junior Dash.
- The use of iPods and mp3 players is discouraged in all races for the safety of all participants.
- Always follow the directions of all race officials and emergency service personnel.
- Position yourself at the start line according to the Start Zone you nominated when completing your race entry. It is clearly printed on the front of your race number to allow a smooth start for all participants. If you wish to run with friends/family and they are in a different Start Zone you may start in a slower zone than that printed on your race number (e.g. someone with a B Zone label may start in B, C, or D but not in A).
- Participants who are walking in the The Star Gold Coast 5.7km Challenge must start from the rear of the field.
- Do not stop or change directions suddenly.
- Keep to the left of the course to allow people to pass on the right.
The Gold Coast Airport Marathon, in the interest of participant safety, will monitor the race day weather conditions to determine if extreme heat or other weather conditions will have an adverse effect on participants of the Gold Coast Airport Marathon and associated events.
The Gold Coast Airport Marathon, through its duty of care to its participants, reserves the right to indefinitely cancel or delay an event/s at short notice in the interest of participant safety.
The Gold Coast Airport Marathon’s hot weather policy is consistent with Sport Medicine Australia’s Hot Weather Guidelines but participants are reminded that they also have a duty of care to themselves and should only undertake the event if they are adequately prepared and medically fit.
2017 Weather Policy available soon.