Aid Stations, Personal Refreshments & Medical
In addition to meeting strict industry safety standards, IAAF Gold Label Road Race criteria and AIMS membership guidelines, the Gold Coast Marathon goes above and beyond in ensuring safety for all involved. From advanced medical scanning technology and GPS tracking to forward-thinking traffic management and detailed aid station assistance, the event continually aims to employ innovative and ground-breaking safety measures.
- Refreshment station (RS): Personal refreshments, lemon lime Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel and water
- Water station (WS): Water only
- Marathon (31km): There will be 11 Endura gel flavours including three new flavours at the 31km aid station in the marathon only.
Please discard all cups and gel sachets into the bin bags provided at the aid stations to help minimise our environmental footprint.
Please note that all aid stations will be on the left hand side of the road, with the exception of the marathon stations listed below, which will be on the right.
|Marathon||Half Marathon||10km Run||Fun Run (5.7km)||4km Junior Dash|
|2.5km (WS)||2.5km (WS)||2.5km (WS)||2km (RS)||2km (WS)|
|5.5km (RS)||4km (RS)||5.5km (RS)||4km (WS)|
|8km (WS)||7km (WS)||8km (WS)|
|10km (RS)||9.5km (RS)|
| 13km (WS)
| 16.5km (RS)
| 18.5km (WS)
| 20km (RS)
| 23km (WS)
|31km (RS) + Gels|
Endura Sports Nutrition is the official supplier of on course hydration for the Gold Coast Marathon. Lemon lime Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel will be available at aid stations and the Nu-Pure Recovery Area. Endura gels will also be supplied at the 31km aid station in the Gold Coast Marathon.
Endura Rehydration Formula is designed to improve your performance through the rapid replacement of fluid and electrolytes. It is recommended that if you plan to use the lemon and lime Endura Rehydration Formula on race day, you should ‘train’ with this product prior to the event.
Race Weekend Tips
Despite the ideal winter conditions, runners can often fall into a false sense of security and ignore exercise-induced physiological effects associated with participating in a Gold Coast Marathon race. Please keep these tips in mind while running so you have a safe and memorable experience:
- Only undertake the event if you’re adequately prepared and medically fit.
- Complete your emergency contact details on the back of your race number.
- Avoid dehydrating drinks (i.e. caffeine, alcohol, energy drinks) the day before and on the day of your race.
- Stay hydrated on course. Even if you don’t feel thirsty, take advantage of our aid stations located on course.
- If you require medical attention, please report to an aid station, race marshal or on-course medical personnel for assistance.
- If you’re feeling faint or unwell during or after your run, stop and seek medical assistance immediately.
- After your race, seek shade and rehydrate with water and Endura Rehydration Formula available in the Nu Pure Recovery Area.
For medical attention on course, please report to an aid station, race marshal or identified medical personnel for assistance. At selected aid stations from the 15km mark (Marathon) there will be ‘self-service’ tables with basic first aid supplies such as band-aids and vaseline. A first aider will be located at each aid station throughout the course to help assist and identify participants that require medical treatment.
ASSIST Medics first aid responders provide support to all runners on bicycles throughout the course on Sunday 7 July. First aid responders monitor participants within their designated zones and administer first aid where appropriate. Athlete Support Vehicles (ASV) are a means of transport for participants that are unable to complete their chosen race due to injury. Each ASV is equipped to treat basic first aid and resourced with a first aid responder who will assess and refer.
The First Aid Tent is located on the Event Lawn adjacent to the Event Information Booth. The Medical Centre is located within the Nu Pure Recovery Area and is staffed by Gold Coast University Hospital personnel including an Intensive Care Director, doctors and nurses. Major medical surgeries can be performed here if required. The Physiotherapy Tent is located within the Nu Pure Recovery Area (only operates on Sunday 7 July).
Ambulances will be located along the course and within the race precinct. Important information for interstate and international participants:
Queensland Ambulance Service has confirmed their policy on costs for interstate and international participants who use the ambulance service at the 2019 Gold Coast Marathon. There are two service distinctions:
- If a local, interstate or international participant is transported to the Race Precinct medical centre, there will be no charge.
- If an interstate or international participant is transported offsite (to their choice of private or public hospital) they will be charged by Queensland Ambulance Service direct. Depending on the patient’s condition, they will be transported to the most suitable tertiary hospital, which also includes Brisbane hospitals and could include an air service. This service would be free for Queensland residents. Participants are made aware of the charges if their medical condition allows for the understanding of the transport costs. Some states have reciprocal arrangements with Queensland as do some private health funds. Participants are urged to check with their state ambulance service or private health fund to see if they would be covered for ambulance transport in Queensland. Participants will be asked by QAS officers prior to travel should they wish to proceed knowing the charge (this only applies to responsive participants).
Nu-Pure Recovery Area
After crossing the finish line, you will enter the Nu-Pure Recovery Area which is restricted to participants only. Within this area you will find lemon lime Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel, Nu-Pure water, fruit and a medical centre.
It is here you will be rewarded for your efforts with a commemorative medal and a finisher shirt if you completed the Gold Coast Marathon, ASICS Half Marathon or Southern Cross University 10km Run.
Seeded and Priority Start Runners
Personal refreshments will be distributed to refreshment stations for seeded and priority start runners participating in the Gold Coast Marathon only. Personal refreshments will be available at the 5.5km, 10km, 16.5km, 20km, 25.5km, 31km, 35.5km and 40.5km refreshment stations. Refreshments must be delivered to the personal refreshment expo booth located within the ASICS Sport & Leisure Expo Saturday 6 July between 9am and 3pm. Runners must collect their race number prior to delivering their personal refreshments.
All refreshments must be marked with the following information:
- Full name
- Race number
- Refreshment station for placement (5km, 10km etc.)
Runners are encouraged to mark their refreshments with a personal item, ribbon or colour for easy identification. No metal or glass bottles will be accepted. Containers must be sealed (i.e. will not leak if laid down) and must be no more than 30cm in height.
- All drinks tables at the refreshment stations will be on the left hand side of runners (except 16.5km and 20km refreshment stations)
- Drink tables will always be on the left hand side of runners
- Seeded race numbers are always at the front of the tables with drinks for athletes in the 1-50 range on the left side of tables and drinks for athletes in the 51-100 range on the right
- Ensure you know which table your personal refreshments drink will be on
- Drinks will be arranged exactly as outlined in the Personal Refreshments Table Layout
- The layout will be the same at all 8 stations
- Seeded breakdown:
- Table 1: Race number ends in 1 or 6 e.g. 1, 6, 11, 16….81, 86, 91 and 96
- Table 2: Race number end in 2 or 7
- Table 3: Race number ends in 3 or 8
- Table 4: Race number ends in 4 or 9
- Table 5: Race number ends in 5 or 0
- Priority breakdown (numerical order):
- Table 1: 126-150
- Table 2: 151-175
- Table 3: 176-200
- Table 4: 201-225
- Table 5: 226+
Non-Seeded and Priority Start Runners
While there is no capacity to accept personal refreshments from runners (other than seeded and priority start athletes), Gold Coast Marathon participants will be supplied Endura Sports Nutrition gels (mixture of flavours) at the 31km refreshment station as well as lemon lime Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel and water.