To ensure the safety of participants, volunteers and spectators, police-controlled road closures will be in place from Paradise Point to Burleigh Heads.
Saturday 6 July: Roads will be closed from 3:30am and will progressively reopen as events are completed. All roads are scheduled to reopen by 11am.
Sunday 7 July: Roads will be closed from 3:30am and will progressively reopen as events are completed. All roads are scheduled to reopen by 2:30pm.
Access to your premises will be permitted under the direction of police and traffic controllers. However, you may experience delays to ensure event safety. If possible, we suggest those affected make alternative arrangements on this weekend to avoid delays and to assist in minimising traffic congestion.
The success of this great community event relies heavily on local support. We encourage all Gold Coast residents and businesses to join in on the event’s excitement and atmosphere by decorating your home or business, promoting a marathon special to entice participants to your business, screening the live webcast or participating in one of our eight races. See when the runners will be passing through your area here.
New traffic arrangements for Mermaid Beach due to 2019 course change
Please note the course changes this year to include the Gold Coast Highway in Mermaid Beach to accommodate growing participation in the event. Police-controlled road closures and reduced speed limits will be in place in the Mermaid Beach area on Sunday 7 July from 3:30am to 12pm. Changed traffic conditions in the Mermaid Beach area will be as follows:
- Full road closures will be in place for Hedges Avenue from 3:30am to 12pm, Alexandra Avenue to Seashell Avenue.
- The Gold Coast Highway between Alexandra Avenue and Seashell Avenue will be open with reduced speed limits with the following changes from 3:30am to 10am:
- Right turns and U-turns are are prohibited for north bound traffic.
- Left turns into side streets (between Mermaid Ave and Seashell Ave) are prohibited for southbound traffic.
- Vehicles entering the highway from the east are permitted to turn left to travel south at the discretion of the traffic controller (when there are gaps between runners). Please note there will be significant delays from 7:30am – 9:30am.
Saturday 6 July
|Road Closures | Saturday 6 July|
|Marine Parade: Burrows Street to Brisbane Road||3:30am – 11am|
|Brisbane Road: Turpin Road to Marine Parade (eastbound lanes)||3:30am – 11am|
|Marine Parade: Brisbane Rd to Broad Street||3:30am – 11am|
|Frank Street||3:30am – 11am|
|Marine Parade: Broad Street to Frank Street||3:30am – 11am|
|Central Street: Frank Street to Marine Parade||3:30am – 11am|
|Marine Parade: Frank Street to North Street||3:30am – 11am|
|North Street: High Street to Gold Coast Hwy (Eastbound lanes)||3:30am – 11am|
|Marine Parade: North Street to Ada Bell Way||3:30am – 11am|
|Queen Street: Scarborough Street to Gold Coast Hwy (Eastbound lanes)||6am – 7:30am|
|Southport Bridge- FULL CLOSURE|
|Gold Coast Hwy: Ada Bell Way to Tedder Ave||6am – 7:30am|
Sunday 7 July
|Road Closures | Sunday 7 July|
|The Esplanade: Donald Ave to Falkinder Ave||3:30am – 9am|
|Bayview Street: Falkinder Ave to Matthew Flinders Drive||3:30am – 9am|
|Bayview Street: Matthew Flinders Drive to Holly Ave||3:30am – 9am|
|Bayview Street: Holly Ave to Lae Drive||3:30am – 9am|
|Lae Drive: Bayview Street to Morala Ave||3:30am – 9am|
|Bayview Street: Lae Drive to Jennifer Ave||3:30am – 9am|
|Bayview Street: Jennifer Ave to Ocean Street||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Marine Parade: Ocean Street to Brisbane Road||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Brisbane Road: Turpin Road to Marine Parade (Eastbound lanes)||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Marine Parade: Brisbane Road to Broad Street||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Frank Street||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Marine Parade: Broad Street to Frank Street||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Marine Parade: Frank Street to North Street||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|North Street: High Street to Gold Coast Hwy (Eastbound lanes)||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Marine Parade: North Street to Ada Bell Way||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Gold Coast Hwy: Ada Bell Way to Waterways Drive (Southbound Lanes)||3:30am – 2:30pm|
|Gold Coast Hwy: Ada Bell Way to Tedder Ave||7:15am – 7:50am|
|Waterways Drive: Gold Coast Hwy to MacArthur Parade||3:30am – 1pm|
|Main Beach Parade: Waterways Drive to MacArthur Parade||3:30am – 1pm|
|Main Beach Parade: MacArthur Parade to Ferny Ave||3:30am – 1pm|
|Esplanade: Ferny Ave to Clifford Street||3:30am – 12pm|
|Northcliffe Terrace: Clifford Street to Fern Street||3:30am – 12pm|
|Old Burleigh Road: Fern Street to First Ave||3:30am – 12pm|
|Broadbeach Blvd: First Ave to Queensland Ave||3:30am – 12pm|
|Old Burleigh Rd: Queensland Ave to Alexandra||3:30am – 12pm|
|Alexandra Ave||3:30am – 10am|
|Mermaid Ave||3:30am – 10am|
|*Gold Coast Hwy: Mermaid Ave to Seashell Ave||3:30am – 10am|
|Seashell Ave||3:30am – 10am|
|Hedges Ave: Alexandra Ave to Seashell Ave||3:30am – 12pm|
|Albatross Ave: Seashell Ave to Charlift Ave||3:30am – 12pm|
|Marine Parade: Chairlift Ave to Hythe Street||3:30am – 12pm|
|Hythe Street||3:30am – 11am|
|*Gold Coast Hwy: Hythe Street to Kratzmann||3:30am – 11am|
|Kelly Ave||3:30am – 11am|
|Kratzmann Ave||3:30am – 11am|
|The Esplanade: Kelly Ave to Gold Coast Hwy||3:30am – 11am|
*Road open but changed traffic conditions apply.
- Add additional time to your journey in anticipation of delays.
- Due to this event, traffic in Southport and surrounding suburbs will be heavily congested.
- Use either Benowa or Currumburra Roads when travelling north and south.
- Use High Street and Scarborough Street to access parking in Southport.
- Use Olsen Avenue and Oxley Drive to enter/exit Labrador, Runaway Bay and Paradise Point.
- Avoid travelling along the Gold Coast Highway between Southport and Mermaid Beach as heavy traffic delays are expected from 7am to 12pm on Sunday 7 July.
- Use Tedder Avenue as the main thoroughfare to get to The Spit on Sunday 7 July, as it will be under police direction.
- If coming from Brisbane or the north along the Pacific Motorway (M1), use Nerang-Broadbeach Road to access Surfers Paradise or any suburbs further south.
- Access across the course will be permitted under the direction of traffic controllers and police when deemed safe. There will be periods when the number of runners using the road restricts access.
Tow Away Zones
Parking restrictions will apply on the course and vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense. Refer to event signage for these locations.
Broadwater Parklands Car Park (Gold Coast Aquatic Centre Car Park)
The Broadwater Parklands Car Park in Southport will be fully closed from 5am Monday 24 June through to 5pm Thursday 11 July.
Access to boat ramps along the event course will be restricted during the race weekend. Please refer to the road closure summary for details.