An often overlooked aspect of the Gold Coast Airport Marathon is its attention to detail in delivering the safest experience to both its runners and spectators over two days.
In addition to meeting strict industry safety standards, International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Gold Label criteria and Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) membership guidelines, the Gold Coast Airport Marathon goes above and beyond in ensuring the upmost safety for all involved.
From advanced medical scanning technology and GPS tracking to forward-thinking traffic management and detailed aid station assistance, the event continually aims to employ innovative and ground-breaking safety measures.
On Course Hydration
|Marathon||Half Marathon||10km Run||5.7km Challenge||4km Junior Dash|
|2.5km (WS)||2.5km (WS)||2.5km (WS)||2km (WS)||2km (WS)|
|5.5km (RS)||4km (RS)||5.5km (RS)||4km (WS)|
|8km (WS)||7km (WS)||8km (RS)|
|10.5km (RS)||9.5km (RS)|
|12.5km (WS)||11.5km (WS)|
|15.5km (RS)||14.5km (RS)|
|17km (WS)||16.5km (WS)|
|20km (RS)||19km (RS)|
|30.5km (RS) + Gels|
- Refreshment stations (RS): Personal refreshments, pineapple Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel and water.
- Water stations (WS): Water only
- We encourage all participants to discard all cups in the pink bags provided at the aid stations to help minimise our environmental footprint.
Endura Sports Nutrition is the official supplier of on course hydration for the Gold Coast Airport Marathon.
Pineapple Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel will be available at aid stations and the Nu-Pure Recovery Area.
Endura gels (various flavours) will also be supplied at the 30km aid station in the Gold Coast Airport Marathon.
Endura Rehydration Formula is designed to improve your performance through the rapid replacement of fluid and electrolytes. It is recommended that if you plan to use the pineapple Endura Rehydration Formula on race day, you should ‘train’ with this product prior to the event.
Visit endura.com.au for more information.
- The last table of the H2.5km, 15km, 20km, 25km, 30km, 32.5km, 35km, 37.5km, 40km and H14.5km aid stations are ‘self-service’ tables with basic first aid supplies such as Band-Aids and Vaseline.
- A first aider will be located at each aid station throughout the course to help assist and identify participants that require medical treatment.
- St John first aid responders provide support to all runners on bicycles throughout the course on Sunday 2 July. First aid responders monitor participants within their designated zones and administer first aid where appropriate.
- Athlete Support Vehicles are a means of transport for participants that are unable to complete their chosen race due to injury. Each ASV is equipped to treat basic first aid and resourced with a St John first aid responder who will assess and refer.
- The Medical Centre is located within the Nu Pure Recovery Area and is staffed by Gold Coast University Hospital personnel including an Intensive Care Director, doctors and nurses. Major medical surgeries can be performed here if required.
Nu-Pure Recovery Area
After crossing the finish line, you will enter the Nu-Pure Recovery Area which is restricted to participants only. Within this area you will find pineapple Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel, Nu-Pure water, Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, other fruit and a medical centre.
It is here you will be rewarded for your efforts with a commemorative medal and a finishers shirt if you completed the Gold Coast Airport Marathon, ASICS Half Marathon or Southern Cross University 10km Run.
Seeded and Priority Start Runners
Personal refreshments will be distributed to refreshment stations for seeded and priority start runners participating in the Gold Coast Airport Marathon only.
Personal refreshments will be available at the 5km, 10km, 15km, 20km, 25km, 30km, 35km and 40km refreshment stations.
Refreshments must be delivered to the personal refreshment expo booth located within the ASICS Sport & Leisure Expo between 9am-3pm Saturday 1 July only. Runners must collect their race number prior to delivering their personal refreshments.
All refreshments must be marked with the following information.
- Runner’s name
- Runner’s race number
- Refreshment station for placement (5km, 10km etc.)
Runners are encouraged to mark their refreshments with a personal item, ribbon or colour for easy identification.
No metal or glass bottles will be accepted. Containers must be sealed (i.e. will not leak if laid down) and must be no more than 30cm in height.
Personal refreshment layout available soon.
Non-Seeded and Priority Start Runners
While there is no capacity to accept personal refreshments from runners (other than seeded and priority start athletes), Gold Coast Airport Marathon participants will be supplied Endura Sports Nutrition gels (mixture of flavours) at the 30.5km refreshment station as well as pineapple Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel and water.